Saturday, February 21, 2009

A message on suffering

I've never been consistent with journaling but from time to time, I get the urge, most likely from the Lord, to pen my thoughts. He obviously uses those spontaneous journaling moments sometime later to remind me of these little nuggets of truth He so graciously feeds me. This morning, I read a journal entry during my time in Zambia and felt lead to share. It was a message Kevin Rodgers gave and what God laid on my heart thereafter:

26 October 2008
Lusaka, Zamibia
Kevin Rodgers (Youth Pastor Kev)

1. Suffering matures us (James 1:2-4)

2. Suffering weans us from self-reliance (2 Corinthians 1:9)

3. Suffering is an evangelistic tool

4. Suffering increases our great reward

5. Suffering helps us minister to others

6. Suffering keeps down pride (2 Corinthians 12:7)

7. Suffering identifies us with Christ (Phillippians 3:10)

8. Suffering identifies us with our people

excerpt from my journal:

"This morning we started with a worship service after breakfast followed by a message from Kevin. Chris Nalls, Johanna and I led worship with five songs. Kevin gave one of the best messages about suffering and being a missionary I've ever heard. I began thinking about how suffering for Christ as a missionary goes farther than imprisonment, persecution or violence. There is so much emotional suffering we go through by leaving our families, our friends and the lives we've always known. He also talked about when we are hurt by those we've poured our lives into when they say or do something against us. Having a servant's heart and truly finding joy in doing things for those I love can often lead to feelings of being used, taken for granted or taken advantage of. Though these times are frustrating, I have to remind myself to do things for others because I desire to glorify God, not for my own gain..."

Today, I say rejoice in serving others and find joy in suffering for the glory of God, whatever that means for you. God is good, all the time...

No comments: