Thursday, February 12, 2009

Street ministry in downtown Johannesburg

Last night, I went with a group from Edenvale Baptist Church to give out bread and soup to those without homes who live on the streets of downtown Joburg. EBC partners with a ministry of the Central Methodist Church, located in the heart of the city.

We started at the church and I don't think I've ever seen a sight such as this in all my travels. There were literally hundreds, maybe even a couple of thousand people packed into the church. They are referred to as refugees, many from surrounding countries, but most from Zimbabwe. The every stairway, every inch of floor, every hallway was crowded with men, women, children and babies, all trying to find a place to stay indoors, seeking refuge from a chilly, rainy night.

As we made our way through the crowd, we passed a ventilator shaft in the hallway. I was shocked to see at least five people crammed into the small, narrow shaft in the wall. This was their home, among water heaters, eletrical panels and insulation.

We loaded the soup and bread and headed out to the city for the first of five stops. Those living on the streets know every Wednesday, the church group will be there to feed them. They don't line up, they don't fight, they don't beg. They know the Lord is providing them a meal and they are patient, knowing their meal will be hand delivered to them.

I visited with a man named Fred, who has been in Joburg for about six months, but calls Cape Town home. He came here to work but due to an injury and subsequent operation on his leg, he's been unable to work. He said he has no family in Joburg and no place to go. Fred seemed scared and unsure about his future. We gave him soup and bread and prayed with him. He sat down against the brick building under a small awning and seemed to enjoy his food. As we were leaving, I said my goodbye to Fred and he expressed his appreciation for the meal. I looked back as we drove past where Fred was sitting and he was gone, in an instant. My heart broke for him but I told him to have faith, that the Lord would take care of him, just as he had that night by providing a meal.

I would love to share this story through photos but sometimes, a camera is not appropriate in certain situations. Every person on the street and in the church has a story. If the Lord provides more opportunities for me to minister downtown, I hope to learn more about these precious people He loves so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I joined the group Arkansas to Africa because I also travelled the long journey from El Dorado, Arkansas to Lusaka Zambia, in July 2008. I went with a group of 15 from my church in El Dorado and we partnered with other groups from Texas, Georgia, and Kentucky and stayed 2 1/2 weeks in Lusaka, where we partnered with local churches doing crusades, medical clinics and street evangelism. It was an awesome and life changing experience. We stayed at the Baptist seminary in Lusake as well. To read your blog about your stay in Lusaka brought back such wonderful memories. I had the privilege of worshiping and ministering with the people of Libala Baptist church with pastor Peter Mwila. It was a loving church and they taught us so much more than we could teach them. They know how to worship their savior.... I miss my time there and would love to return someday, they will forever be a part of me. I will pray for you as you do the Lord's work.... may you be blessed in your stay in Africa.... thanks for your willingness to say Yes Lord!

Lori Rigdon,
El Dorado, Arkansas
email: lrig35@yahoo.com
look me up on facebook!