Friday, February 6, 2009

Some great kids

Thursday mornings, I spend about four hours volunteering at Little Eden, a group home and non-profit organization for kids and adults with special needs. The residents range in age from three months to 58 years. Some kids were abandoned as babies while others have families who visit on weekends.

I help with the Yellow group comprised of about 26 kids who have severe mental disabilities. I think they are in the 10 - 12-year-old range but have the mental capacity of babies and are physically limited and confined to wheelchairs, unable to do much of anything for themselves.

We have music time for a bit and "dance" with them (pushing their wheelchairs in beat with the music), let them try musical instruments, help them with art projects and help feed them during tea time and lunch.

I'm really excited to have two of the Joburg Hands-On missionaries volunteering with me at Little Eden. Ryan, from Oklahoma, has worked at a camp for kids with special needs in the past and Jack, from Georgia, has staffed at Snowbird, a faith-based adventure camp. It was blessing to see these guys love on the kids and enjoy the time there. Ryan and Jack have already become good friends of mine and I'm looking forward to serving with them at Little Eden.

Thursdays are definitely the highlight of my week. I've always had a passion and love for kids with disabilities. My mom has worked in special education most of my life so I've always been around them. When I was a substitute teacher, I often subbed in special ed and any chance I had to volunteer at Special Olympics, I would.

I also remember as a portrait photographer, on days when I would be swamped and stressed with long lines of people, God would send in a family with a child who had some kind of disability that would totally change my mood. I got a boost of patience and took my time with them. I was always grateful for those kids and rejoiced in the blessing of the Lord sending them my way just at the right time.

Below are a few pictures from the school. Due to confidentiality, I can't post names or individual pictures of the kids.

Jack & Ryan with one of the kids









1 comment:

Michelle said...

what an awesome experience!