Friday, March 27, 2009

Something to think about

"I make a daily decision to trust that this new life I've been given is God's plan for me. He is for me, not against me. He can make this life good, even though it's different."

- Gracia Burnham
In the Presence of My Enemies

This semester, I'm required to read a missionary autobiography for my seminary class. I chose the story of Martin & Gracia Burnham, New Tribes missionaries serving in the Philippines who were captured by terrorists and held captive for more than a year in the Philippine jungles. Martin was killed in crossfire between the terrorists and the government and Gracia was rescued and reunited with her family in the States.

The Burnham's story captivated me and reminded me how missionaries and Christians around the world are persecuted for their faith. In the end, after Martin's death and Gracia's rescue, she reflected on how greatly her life has changed as a result of their captivity and the struggles in her faith during their time in the jungles.

The above quote spoke to my heart, though. When we answer the call to serve our Father and make disciples of all nations, we begin a new life and it's not easy. We miss our family and friends, we miss all things familiar, we miss life events of those we love but we do it with great joy amidst other emotions.

This life in South Africa is a new life for me with new people, new culture and new way of life. But this new life, although different, is a good one. In fact, it's a great one. Gracia's life changed drastically, more than most of us on the field. But as she said, "He is for me, not against me." Perhaps the thing that brings me the greatest joy is knowing this is God's will for my life...what a humbling thought!

I praise the Lord for bringing me to South Africa to serve here. It's not always easy but it's continues to be a blessing. I encourage you to learn more about the Burnham's story by reading In the Presence of My Enemies. It will surely touch your heart. For more information on Gracia's new life, visit www.graciaburnham.org.

No comments: